Friday, March 16, 2007

Polished Journal-Bluest Eye

Ugly/Pretty
When people are pretty, usually things come easier for them. People like them because they are easy to look at and they feel no shame for the way they may feel about their appearance (unless it is jelousy). For some reason, people just like pretty people more, and they want to be nicer to them, and do things for them. I don't really understand why. Sometimes though it is problematic because people think that beauty is all you have, and don't account you for inteligence, or creativity. When your pretty also, usually you may feel uncomfortable around certain people, because you are threatened by some possible sexual drive they have for you (?) It's not like all the time like people walk around and are just like "oh my goodnes he wants me!" but its just like the possibility of rape and stuff. When people are ugly though I can imagine they feel shame for the way they look. Our world is so programmed to accept beauty, and for everyone to be pretty, that there is no room for ugly people. That is really sad, but it's pretty much the truth. Ugly and pretty is so hard to define, I mean everyone has their own opinion, and there is no sure definition for ugly or pretty. You can't really define it.

Bluest Eye Themes:
hate (in all forms)
sadness
loss of innocence
secrets
hurt, pain
growing up, maturing
lack of self confidence
trust (lost,gained)
abuse
shame
ugly/beautiful
acceptance
jelousy

When I think about the themes in this book it makes me sad and I can almost feel the hurt for these characters because I'm taking the time to understand how they must feel. All that is in their lives is pain, shame etc. just bad feelins all over. I mean there are times of love, but they aren't as abundant in the story as sadness and pain. I feel the worst for Pecola, because every substantial thing in her life has hurt her. When anything seems okay, life turns around and hurts her, and she is so numb and so programmed to be scared of everything, that she doesnt even do anything. She is so bland to me, because she has so much pain in her life that she can't even focus on it anymore, and she has to just take everything with a shot, so she can't even feel. I know she doesn't realize this though, she just does it because she has to. All of these people are trapped in this world that they live in, and nothing really is that great for them. They all strive for a moment of happiness and for something to be right, but it never comes. Its all depressing, but it's still beautiful in a dark way.